Thursday, June 9, 2011

On My Way

Friday the 3rd of June. This is the day when my trip officially stated. Friday evening my mother drove me to my friend Leah's home in Chicago. We did this so that i would be closer to the airport Saturday morning. Leah only lives twenty minutes from O'Hare. Leah is a girl i met from ISU who is also attending this field school. I'm so glad i have her as a companion.. Having a friend along makes the whole trip seem way less scary. I spent the night at Leah's house her family was way cool. They made me feel right at home. So i think i should add here a little about why I'm taking a month to travel to Italy to dig in the dirt. Well for one thing i have always wanted to travel, there are so many places i want to see in the world. So i thought why not start now, this is my senior year at college, if not now when? So in January i started the hard search of a study abroad program. I did find many schools, but most where very expensive, and i wasn't sure i wanted to be gone for 3 months. So i started looking at summer schools, or field schools. A field school is a program usually dedicated to a specific subject and is usually very intensive. Since I am working on my undergraduate in Anthropology and i need a Archeology credit to graduate, it made sense to find a school in that field. I found many schools and i researched and researched, and finally decided on, NIU Archeology in Sicily field school. I then completed the complicated application process, and waited to hear if i was accepted. And as you  already know i was!  I am now on my way to Salemi, a village in Sicily, to spend a month digging and touring the island of Sicily. I cant wait to go to Europe, this will be my first time abroad!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment